Thursday, August 8, 2019

BSA106- 1970-1979 games and animation


I used to watch The Magic Roundabout as a child. This stop-motion animation seemed kind of depressing. 
Image result for dougal and the blue cat stopmotion

This was quite funny, the characters look quite odd, especially the male with his eyes facing different ways. You can tell it came from the UK, it has the funny British comedy. It was interesting that they screened this alongside A Clockwork Orange. 

Seeing this reminds me of the Pinball machines, which are super fun to play on. It is amazing to see how far we have come since then. 

The Fantastic Planet is super weird. I think it is cutout stop motion animation. 
Image result for the fantastic planet gif

The cover looks like it was created by Dr Suess

Japanese animators certainty know how to shock and audience. While the animation itself is harrowing and disturbing, the actual animation art is fantastic, everything looks super smooth and well made. This animation made me think about the movie The Empire of the Sun That was directed by Steven Spielberg. I'm not sure what reminded me of it though. 
Image result for the empire of the sun movie

A lot of animation tended to be very experimental. This was a very strange animation, the sound effects made it even weirder. 
Image result for piotr kamler le pas

Image result for hayao miyazaki heidi
Its super cute and I love it

This reminds me of the Doom games, experimentally Doom 1. Which is a FPS and you essentially go through a maze. 
Image result for doom 1 gif

Image result for the pinchcliffe grand prix gif
The stop motion is super cool and complicated. There are many small movements. The duck looking character and monkey characters seem to play the devil and angel on the shoulders of the old man. 

Gotta love home versions of video games. 

Image result for hugo the hippo gif
Hippos are great

Very odd animation, made me slightly motion sick and gave me a bit of a headache. Pretty sure most animators in the 70's were on something because they made some super weird stuff. 


THE SMURFS. NOOOOO. They were ruined by live action smurfs. Although I still like the animated ones. 

RPG games are fantastic and one of my favourite game genres. This game-play is pretty boring though, couldn't understand the guy playing it. 

Image result for allegro non troppo gif
Very fluid animation, but really super strange.

There are some ethical issues with this. 

This animation is a ride, it was depressing for like 2 seconds and then bam sing song.

Very odd and some what disturbing.

Interetsing to see they marketed it to adults.

I never watched Watership Down, but I have heard a lot about it. 

Space Invaders is fantastic. I got to play this last holidays on an arcade machine that had about 10 games that were created such as pac-man and space invaders. I think I played a slightly different version, it had more colour I think.

Image result for autobahn animation gif
this style of character reminds me of Daft Punks animated video for One More Time. Image result for daft punk one more time gif

Mattel coming through. 

Image result for satiemania by zdenkó gasparovich
Quite cool style, very rough and sketchy which is different to all the other animation we have seen so far.  This would be a good animation to study for walk cycles.

No comments:

Post a Comment